– Step 1: Clean the PVC window frame
– Step 2: Prepare the silicone seal
– Step 3: Apply the silicone sealant with a spray gun
– Step 4: Remove the release tape
Although PVC windows have a longer life span than other materials, the seal that provides heat and sound insulation must still be monitored and possibly replaced. Replacing it with a universal seal does not always offer excellent performance. For this reason, it is better to make an exact moulding on the frame to renovate your PVC window.
Here is how to change the seal of a PVC window.
Materials needed to change the seal on a PVC window.
Mould release tape
Sponge + Cloth
1. Clean the PVC window frame
– To ensure proper moulding and adhesion of the new seal, clean the frame of your window.
Good to know: the frame is the fixed part of your window structure, while the sash, as its name suggests, is the moving part.
– Using a fine spatula and a wire brush, remove the last vestiges of the old seal. For hard-to-reach areas, a thin screwdriver can help you get to the last pieces of the seal.
– Then, wash the entire interior contour of the frame with a mixture of detergent and hot water.
– Wipe thoroughly with a dry cloth.
– Then, using a degreasing agent, remove any traces of sticky or greasy residue from around the sash.
2. Prepare the silicone sealant
Use a gun to apply the silicone sealant to your PVC window:
– Insert the silicone nozzle into the gun.
– Cut the tip of the nozzle at an angle, which will help you apply the sealant cleanly and accurately.
– Squeeze the trigger on your gun several times to prime the silicone into the nozzle.
3. Apply the silicone sealant with the gun
– Apply the silicone sealant around the entire interior contour of the frame.
– Cover your seal with a unique release strip. It will prevent the sash and frame from sticking together until the seal is dry.
– Using a spatula, remove the excess silicone.
– Once you’ve finished, close your window and do not open it again for at least 24 hours.
Tip: Before closing the window, remember to open or close your blinds, depending on what you want for the next 24 hours.
4. Remove the release tape
After 24 hours, your seal is dry.
– Open the window and carefully remove the release tape.
– Check visually and by touch that the silicone seal is clean and even along its entire length. If it is not, remove it and repeat the process.
Hope this post helps you change the seal of a PVC window. Please, don’t forget to leave your comments below.